With individual therapy, you can learn to feel more confident about your feelings, your relationships, and your future
Getting the most from therapy
Individual therapy can help you with . . .
- depression (including grief, loss)
- anxiety (including panic attacks, worry, Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder or PTSD)
- interpersonal difficulties (e.g., over-reacting, difficulty trusting, avoidance of conflict, overly blunt, overwhelmed by others’ needs)
- life transitions (e.g., promotion, new parenthood)
- feeling stuck
- low self-esteem
- chronic or persistent pain
- adjustment to chronic health conditions
- prior trauma
- prior sexual abuse
- ongoing effects of childhood experiences
- vicarious trauma
- work-life balance
- self as clinician/therapist (e.g., personal issues impacting on professional work)
Different proven individual therapy methods tailored for your situation
I use different approaches depending on what’s needed:
We all have needs for intimacy and to protect ourselves in relationships. Sometimes people are better at one or the other and may have difficulty getting their needs met in relationships. Often symptoms of anxiety and/or depression originate or are maintained in the context of relationships. Understanding how you approach relationships from your past experiences can provide options for responding differently.
We can understand and manage our feelings (e.g., depression, anxiety, pain) by changing the associated cognitions or thoughts that can make these feelings seem uncontrollable or intense. By becoming more aware of how your thoughts and behaviours make your feelings increase, you can learn to disengage from potential triggers to intense emotions.
Sometimes it’s helpful to have an objective, neutral person reflect on what you’ve said from a different perspective to allow you to make a decision, provide emotional support, and/or gain increased understanding.
My fees are $200 per 50-minute session. You may have access to extended health care benefits for registered psychologists, or be able to claim these expenses on your income tax.
It’s easy to get started
- Take a look at the information on my website to get a feel for how I work.
- Contact me via phone or email to set up a time to talk for about 15-20 minutes to answer your questions and to see if I may be a good fit for you. If the answer is yes, we’ll proceed; if not, I’ll recommend other resources.
- We’ll set an initial appointment and I’ll email you more information and the intake forms for this appointment.